What is a Science or Social Studies Project?
A science or social studies project begins by asking a question and then uses 5 steps called the scientific method to discover an answer. The term Scientific Method sounds pretty complicated but it is actually 5 simple ideas that scientists use to solve problems:
1. What I wonder (Question)
2. What I think (Hypothesis)
3. What I did (Experiment/Research)
4. What I found (Results)
5. What I learned (conclusions)
Where do I begin?
- Who do I want to work with? There are two options: Individual or Partner
- What category do I want to do a project in?
- Pick your project and a title.
- Choose a topic, issue, or problem to investigate.
- Form a Question.
- Start a journal to keep all your notes and research.
- Begin research using the library, internet, books, magazines, personal interviews with experts. Don't forget you MUST keep tract of all the places you get your information from for your bibliography.
- From your research, decide how to set up an investigation, including the procedure and necessary materials.
- Complete any additional research and set up outline for report.
- Start your experiment or create your invention.
- Record observations in your journal.
- Begin collecting or buying materials for your display and start work on any models, props, or visual aids for your display.
- Ask Yourself - What Did I Do and What Did I Find?
- Continue to record observations from your experiment or invention in your journal.
- Work on first draft of report.
- Write down or sketch preliminary designs for your display.
- Write text for background of display.
- Take any photos needed and have them printed. (Remember You should not see your face in the photos)
- Complete your experiment.
- Analyze observations and write up your results.
- Ask Yourself - What Did I Learn?)
- Write and proofread final version of your project.
- Finish constructing your display, including any graphs, charts, and visual aids.
- Practice presenting to the judges, you can have notecards if you think you might need them.
Click Links Below
Writing a Bibliography
Science Buddies Webpage
Writing an Abstract
Science Fair Project Resource
Science Fair Display Board Resource Buy a Trifold board now, they sellout locally ever year. You can get a board at Micheal's, Walmart, and Target.